Monday, January 20, 2014

A Spiritual Perspective on the Movies

One of my first experiences at the movie theater was watching Mary Poppins flanked by my brother and sister in that dark cinema. We watched Dick Van Dyke light up the screen, singing and dancing with glee. There was the grouchy Mr. Banks and of course the magical Mary Poppins. And as I recall, it was the children of that film that I mostly connected with. They were troubled and happy and astonished and all emotions in between.

I guess that is why I am still an avid watcher of movies. The experience, all very emotional, intellectual, and spiritual, is very real and unique with each picture. Also, at least for me, very personal, like my association with the Banks children.

As I initiate this new blog I could tell you of my “brush with fame” as it relates to the movies and cinematography. How my cousin, Gianfrancesco Lazotti is a very successful filmmaker in Italy. Or that the famous American producer/director Chris Columbus (think Harry Potter, Mrs. Doubtfire and many more) was my good friend in high school and that we collaborated on his first two films as teen agers.

Rather, aside from fame and the namedropping, I want this blog to be thoughtful and probe the spirituality of movies. There is meaning and truth and I dare say slivers of God’s story in the movies. Now, not in all movies and certainly in varying degrees. But inasmuch as a finely crafted story coupled with brilliant artistry absorbed in a couple of hours of personal solitude can speak into one’s life, movies can have a profound effect on an individual, spiritually and otherwise. At least they do with me.

And so it is with this premise that I begin “Cinematheology,” a blog that takes a look at the movies through a spiritual and biblical lens. The blog’s title I take from a sermon series that Dave McClellan and I developed a number of summers ago while we were serving at Riverwood Community Chapel in Kent, Ohio. We chose a number of films (e.g. The Matrix, Bruce Almighty, The Hours etc.) and their themes to teach biblical lessons and truths.

Cinematheology will be a blog whereby I examine the themes and narratives of various movies with the aim of gaining spiritual enrichment. At times the theological correlation will be rather clear,
as when Robert DeNiro playing a murderous mercenary in The Mission finally rids himself of the heavy pack he has strenuously and penitently carried up the cliff. His tears of relief and release from guilt are as beautiful a picture God’s grace and forgiveness to the repentant as you
will ever see. Or even the ending scene in Gran Torino where Clint Eastwood gives up his life for his young Korean friends and the camera shows the executed one in a clear crucifix pose.

Now with that last movie in mind, let me briefly say that due to brutal violence, gratuitous sex, or even excessive foul language (Gran Torino is a doozy for that) some films will be avoided. More on that in a later entry.

Finally (and I promise my posts will be briefer that this initial one), obvious biblical themes or not, to appreciate movies and art in general for their beauty and transcendent qualities is truly a right and noble thing. I concur with and will abide by the Apostle Paul’s injunction:

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true,
whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—
if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—
think about such things (Phil. 4:8).

May this blog and the movies we comment on be about these things! So, here we go with Cinematheology. My plan, God willing, is to write about a new film regularly. And also go into the vault and comment on oldies but goodies too. I intend to write about movies and the arts in general from a spiritual and biblical perspective. The goal will be our spiritual enrichment and joy, while not taking this blog or ourselves too terribly serious.

2 comments:

  1. Mary and I still remember the sermon series at Riverwood. Awesome insights, and we are anxious to read more here. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary and Dave. A film I intend to see but has since left the theaters is "The Book Thief." Yet another film with Nazi Germany as its setting. But I have had a number of folks tell me this is very worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete